Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Owens Valley Trip

Taking some time off in the middle of July to visit the Owens Valley. Big deal right? Well it is for my trains... first, I still have an old 4x8 train table my dad helped me build when I was a kid. I never got around to building a layout a layout and it's been sitting in my parents' garage for about the past 40 years... so I hope to dismantle it enough to fit in the back of their pickup so they can haul it to Sparks for me the next time they visit. If I can get it here, it will save me a lot of time and money - and I really want to get started on my 3 Rail layout...

Second, I'm going to spend about a day at the Laws railroad museum taking lots of pictures. In my world, the SP standard-gauged the Jawbone branch at one point so I can justify modeling it in O Gauge. Well, it turns out they actually DID intend on standard-gauging it at one point but never got around to it. In fact, the Laws depot had the roof cut back in 1920 in anticipation of standard-gauging the line. So, my standard gauge Jawbone line will be a little more prototypical than I'd thought before. The buildins at Laws are small and will fit nicely on my small layout so I plan on taking lots of pics.

Finally, the Owens River Valley Electric Railway was a planned line from Laws to Bishop. No track was ever laid, but the right-of-way was built and for the most part still exists. So... I'm planning on traversing as much of it as I can, also hoping to take lots of pics. I'm especially interested in the area of Bishop the line would have terminated.

Now that I think about it I might have some old HO Scale stuff down in Bishop too... will have to look for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment