Thursday, August 8, 2013

More on On30 - more than I imagined...

When I first started looking into On30 I couldn't find much information on US 30" gauge railroads... and I still can't, at least not on the internet. But... The Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette has an excellent series on 30" lines starting with the July/August 2005 issue. Most of the lines are mining or plantation roads that used Porters, but the first line featured - the Crescent Tramway - used 2 Shays; 1 Class A and 1 Class B (both were 2 truck Lima shays). In fact, the Crescent Tramways first locomotive was the first Shay to be operated west of the Mississippi. So, I take back what I said about On30 "sucking" except when it's used to "freelance" a 3 foot gauge line. I haven't been able to find pictures of either locomotive, but the Bachmann On30 shay is about the right size and should work great. For a little variety you could add the Wiseman modern conversion kit to the second locomotive. I already bought a Bachmann Porter for my Eureka Mill Railroad but I'm probably going to pick up 1 or 2 Shays "just in case." I really love these early mining railroads...

UPDATE: Couldn't resist - ordered my Bachmann Shay tonight - also a set of 10 ore cars for my Eureka Mill Railroad (Wiseman kits). I hope I'm not getting addicted to PROTOTYPE 30" gauge railroads...

No comments:

Post a Comment